The Mona Eltahawy story everyone is missing

Labels: » » »
(EOZ) have mostly stayed away from the silly story of two gigantic egos clashing underneath the streets of New York City, as Egyptian-American journalist Mona Eltahawy announced to the world her plans to vandalize a pro-Israel subway poster put up by blogger Pam Geller. Apparently Eltahawy believed that a poster that was clearly against jihadists was insulting to every Arab worldwide, which tells you a little about her mindset.
Perhaps the best commentary on the kerfuffle was written by Petra Marquardt-Bigman in two separate articles. Read them both.
There is one aspect of the story that no one seems to be talking about, though.
Eltahawy is a reporter. And she has done some important work in exposing the sickening sexism in the Arab world (even exposing people who she might call "savage.")
But journalists are not supposed to become stories. Moreover, they should never actively seek to become stories. Doing a stunt like Eltahawy did is anathema to real journalists. Any journalist that pulls a publicity stunt like Mona did should be branded as utterly unable to maintain even a pretense of objectivity.
In any sane world, Eltahawy's journalism career should be over.
The question is - is it?
Or are adamantly anti-Israel positions consistent with the types of media Eltahawy usually writes for?
"two gigantic egos clashing underneath the streets of New York City"
Mona Eltahawy was one. Who is it that you were insinuating was the other?
(not busting your balls, just want to know what you mean)

I spent hours on the phone with Pamella Hall. We both had fashion industry jobs till our liberal peers ostracized us at work. I found her attractive... and she kept on telling me I wouldn't find her attractive. She didn't want me to like her. I found a kindred spirit until we reached the feminist issue... where I found a radical militant progressive beneath the surface of her Anti-Jihad. When our differences surfaced, she hanged up the phone and blocked me on facebook. It was a very sad moment for me. I realized that what appeared to be Conservative was really feminist. The alarm bells went off. It became apparent to me that she was not a unique phenomenon. Women have lower unemployment numbers. They make money. Pamela might of lost her job, but she survives in NYC. Myself on the contrary after losing my job in fashion advertising, I landed in my parent's attic. When I saw her on Pamela Geller's youtube link I was still upset. I don't hate women. It hurt me to see her being humiliated... by another feminist?

Translate