Water which is too pure has no fish

Labels: » » » » » » » » » » » » » »
Water which is too pure has no fishIn popular culture the quote “Water Which is Too Pure Has No Fish” comes from the movie Bulletproof Monk with Chow Yun-Fat. But it originates from the Ts’ai Ken T’an (Vegetable Roots Discourses) compiled by Hong Zicheng during the time of the Ming Dynasty (1368 to 1644) in China. There are elements of Taoism, Confucianism and Chan (later to be called Zen in Japan) Buddhism to these writings. The section that contains this quote is:Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. Water that is clear has no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime. You can’t just go along enjoying your own private purity and restraint. (Robert Aitken trans.) via enlightenmentward.wordpress.com and image via wackydoodler.com
I know this is supposed to be one of those Jewish Neo Con blogs, but this comes to mind. I get a lot of criticism online... and it annoys me. I'm a person who is interested in learning and while political correction is irksome... so are people who insist on everything coming out of the Torah. Also I would like to note that I did not realize that most people in our country got this passage from a mainstream martial arts film. I had a free market Republican Buddhist principle in high school and he was very Zen... and while I found his tolerance for man hating feminists who wouldn't date me to be stunting to my mental health... he did have some wisdom as well.
Sorry this had nothing to do with Israel or right wing politics. Those who think I'm a narrow minded twit, don't understand me at all.

Translate