Prime minister to meet with foreign diplomats, prepare ground for possible Gaza operation

Labels:
Media_httpcdntimesofi_ptjfr

Prime Minister Netanyahu will meet with foreign diplomats on Monday to update them on the situation on Gaza and prepare world opinion for a possible extensive military operation in the Strip.

Southern Israel has come under heavy rocket and mortar fire from Gaza over the last two days, during which more than 140 projectiles were fired on it by terror groups, injuring three people and causing damage to several houses. Israel has so far responded with preventive and retaliatory airstrikes, targeting rocket launching squads and other terrorist infrastructures.

Fighting continued Monday despite reports of an Egyptian moderated truce that was supposed to take effect Sunday evening. Cabinet ministers, heads of southern regional councils and citizens of the south have called on the government to authorize the army to carry out missions that will restore Israel’s deterrence and lead to an extensive calm in the region.

Netanyahu held consultations with the heads of the defense establishment on Sunday and heard from them about the additional tools in the army’s arsenal.

“The IDF is operating, and will operate forcefully against the terrorist organizations in the Gaza Strip, which are sustaining heavy blows from the IDF,” the prime minister said. “The world needs to understand that Israel will not sit idly by in the face of attempts to attack us. We are prepared to intensify the response,” Netanyahu said on Sunday.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak made clear that Israel would not hesitate to reenter Gaza: “If we are forced to go back into Gaza in order to deal Hamas a [serious] blow and restore security for all of Israel’s citizens, then we will not hesitate to do so,” he said.

Vice Prime Minister Moshe Ya’alon, denied Monday that Israel had agreed to a truce with Gaza organizations. “I don’t know of any request for a ceasefire by Hamas, nor of any actions taken with that goal in mind by Gaza,” he said in an interview to Army Radio.

Ya’alon indicated he supported the resumption of targeted killing operations against terrorists leaders, a strategy he said worked well during his time at the helm of the IDF in 2003-2004.

On Sunday, Ya’alon spoke about the possibility of a Cast Lead-style ground operation deep in the Gaza Strip, saying Israel would first try to achieve its goals with more moderate force.

“Everything is being weighed and will be weighed,” he intimated, when asked if he was talking about a “Cast Lead II.”

Internal Defense Minister Yitzhak Aharonovich said the IDF needed to respond forcefully to the Gaza rocket fire in order to bring an end to the “insufferable” situation in the south.

Speaking on Israel Radio Monday, Aharonovich said Hamas was responsible for the goings on in Gaza and that the IDF’s actions must be “painful.”

Aharonovich said he does not support re-conquering the Gaza Strip, which Israel unilaterally withdrew from in 2004, but said that the army had many tools at its disposal. He said that the Hamas only understands force and that Israel has the means to overcome it.

“We need to create a completely different deterrence situation” in regards to the “terrorist state” in the Gaza Strip, Home Front Defense Minister Avi Dichter said in a Sunday interview with Army Radio.

Dichter, who recently joined Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s ruling Likud party, noted that “nobody should think Israel’s actions will be affected by upcoming elections. [Operation] Cast Lead came during an elections period [in 2008-9], and so did [the 1981 attack on the Iraqi nuclear reactor at] Osirak.”

Dichter wouldn’t specify what kind of Israeli response could change the rules of the game, and stopped short of calling for a large-scale IDF ground excursion into the Gaza Strip.

Like us on Facebook Get our newsletter Follow us on Twitter

Google+ Badge

Google+ Followers

Translate