Amnesty urges Canada to arrest and prosecute George W. Bush

Labels: » »
Somehow I don't think Amnesty International is going to be watching the World Series
From Amnesty International: 12 October 2011...Amnesty International today urged Canadian authorities to arrest and either prosecute or extradite former US President George W. Bush for his role in torture, ahead of his expected visit to Canada on 20 October.
“Canada is required by its international obligations to arrest and prosecute former President Bush given his responsibility for crimes under international law including torture,” said Susan Lee, Americas Director at Amnesty International.
“As the US authorities have, so far, failed to bring former President Bush to justice, the international community must step in. A failure by Canada to take action during his visit would violate the UN Convention against Torture and demonstrate contempt for fundamental human rights.” A failure by Canada to arrest former President Bush demonstrates contempt for human rights?
I have never seen Amnesty urge any Western nation to arrest Mahmoud Abbas, whose Palestinian Authority has been found to - surprise! - torture prisoners. Similarly, I cannot find any Amnesty calls to arrest leaders of Hamas or other terror groups. (Egypt, for example, is a signatory to the Convention Against Torture and Amnesty did not urge Egypt to arrest any Palestinian Arab terrorist or political leader responsible for torture when they are in its territory.)
Amnesty, it will be remembered, has defended a supporter of the Taliban as a "human rights defender" and suspended an employee who disagreed.
If anyone needed any more evidence of the twisted priorities of Amnesty International, this pretty much seals the deal.
(h/t CHA, Daled Amos and EOZ
I have my differences with G W Bush myself (for the opposite reasons)... but I find this amusing. It is awesome to see how far gone this organization is. It was rather recently that I merely disagreed with them, but still respected them... after all I used to like some of the songs by U2 and Bono... and The Chocolate War (which is dedicated to Amnesty International) is one of my favorite movies. It was with great pain that I disagreed with this group... but the more the facts came out, the more I realized that Amnesty International was beyond the pale.

Translate